I have the great good fortune to live in a semi-communal living situation. That is to say, I live in the basement apartment of a house that’s been divided into three apartments and my upstairs neighbors are very dear friends (we keep hoping to get other friends into the top unit, but it’s already occupied by nice people and we don’t want to be too too evil or anything). We enjoy sharing the garden and patio spaces, as well as making Monday Night family dinners (which includes the aforementioned neighbors, my husband, our two kids, and myself). We usually eat upstairs because they have a lovely large dining table and plenty of space, but we alternate which level (upper or lower) makes dinner each week; by trading off the cooking duties, it never gets to feeling like a chore, while still stimulating us to be creative so as not to make the same three or four things again and again. We also have “guest stars” to dinner periodically, which is a lot of fun.
It was my turn to cook this week and I decided to make a recipe from Bon Appetit entitled “Chicken with Haricots Verts and Lemon Butter.” I always think it shows a lack of imagination to name a dish after what’s in it, but I try not to let that prejudice me against a potentially tasty meal. And it was entirely tasty.
I substituted potato flour for the all-purpose flour in the original recipe since one of my friends is gluten intolerant and I adjusted the proportions to feed six people instead of four. I also made some brown rice with homemade chicken stock to go along with it (organic brown rice grown in California, so the arsenic levels are lower and it’s not GMO. Local, too.)
Monday Night Dinner: Chicken with Haricots Verts and Lemon Butter
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves (skin removed)
- Potato flour
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled, halved
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 lbs haricots verts (or green beans), trimmed
- 3 Tbs minced fresh chives
- salt and pepper
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; lightly dust with potato flour to coat. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and shallots; sauté until chicken is golden and just cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Melt butter in skillet with shallots over medium heat. Add lemon juice and lemon zest, then haricots verts; toss. Cover and cook until beans are crisp-tender and shallots are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Return chicken and any juices to skillet; sprinkle with chives. Simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter and serve.